The world according to Shrek...
So what was once a very positive "aww, I really like that movie--it makes me happy" is rapidly becoming an unhealthy obcession. Every other sentence of mine is a line from Shrek 2, which means that I go through the entire movie in the course of a single conversation. I finally got to see Shrek 1 on Sunday though, which was very good for me. I didn't really like Shrek 1 all that terribly much, and I finally figured out why:
1.) The plot was a little too contrived. Yeah yeah it's a "cartoon", and yea yea the second one was contrived too.. But it didn't really seem to flow. The second one was a little more character driven then random acts of fate..although if you want to be philosophical about it character driven plots are really just well masked random-acts-of-fate plots, which I like. But this is the lesser of the two reasons why I liked it less. The other being:
2.) Shrek was a jerk through half of the movie. At first you think he's misunderstood cause he's a ogre and you're all prepared for a heart warming story about the importance of looking beyond what you see on the outside, but then you find out he really is just mean. Of course he falls in love and changes, but he spends most of the movie being bitter and frustraited over the fact that a bunch of random fairy tale creatures get randomly displaced and that he has to randomly rescue a random princess and perhaps you're ment to sypmathize with him cause you're rather frustraited with the randomness of it too but then he goes and falls in love before you get a chance.
Anyway...bottom line: contrived and jerk. But I still really enjoyed it. Especially the Alleluia bit. Especially the shot in that bit where he's sitting alone at the dinner table and it gradually fades to her sitting alone at the dinner table but they're facing each other...beautiful. I'm glad that there are shots like that being made in the world
So I desparately need to study. Desparately.
Today my happy is text messages from Billy. And other people's journals (even the secret ones).

1 Comments:
Wink.
Post a Comment
<< Home