A Night of 1 Acts
Tonight Team Girl Squad (yes Team--not 'Teen' =] ) went and saw Beehive! the musical. Our neighbor was the musical director, and after several failed attempts at bailing out (many planned but few executed) the four of us, plus super tall Cory girl, piled into Rachael's car and Nascared it to the little theatre. The five of us got squeezed in Charlie Brown style on folding chairs lined up one behind the other, with yours truly in the very back, but it got us each in for $5 instead of $10. Relieved to have made it on time, we each settled into our chairs and tried to think supportive thoughts and brace ourselves for a high school musical.
It was fantastic! We were all completely blown away! Every single girl in that show belted her soul out and it was absolutely amazing. It was basically a review of the music of the 60s, but the female vocalists only. I'm not really a big fan of women. I mean, YAY! for sufferage, women's rights, the sexual revolution and definately the concept of the sacrid feminine, but the whole 'girl power' let's get together do our nails, talk about guys and dance around our pocket books and shoes (and spell correctly) motief--not so much. But I think I got it a little bit today. And it really reminded me of Jan. I think I'd like to see her direct it and play Janis Joplin. It seems like something that she of all people could become really passionate about. To me it was kind of her story. And it was a story I had never quite heard told in a timeline continuoum like that before. Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean certainly makes a lot more sense now. Even if I'm thinking its a different time.
Then we all came back here, the roomies went a little crazy (I called Billy instead), and then Ashley and Cory played their guitars together. It was beautiful. Rachael lite the candles that are strategically..er..randomly positioned around our apartment and it was very peaceful.
But apparently the game is over now and from the sounds of it we won. Someone was lighting fire works and shouting a little while ago. I think I should plan to be out of town when they play here next year. The FSU game is always a very scary time if you're not the one making the noise.
I really miss the stage. I went from doing 10 shows a year to three in the past three (that's three shows in the past three years..). And two of them were the same show at different theatres. And the other one I wasn't even in. (Wow--it's weird that I can speak in terms of years.) I hope it's an ache that never goes away.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home